Pioneer Cemeteries of the Tualatin Valley
The historic aspects of the Tualatin Valley are often found on the headstones here. Learning the history of the place means stopping to take in these cemeteries along the way.
Hillsboro Pioneer Cemetery (Est. 1860)
1601 SW Baseline St., Hillsboro
Believed to be the oldest cemetery in Washington County, the Hillsboro Pioneer cemetery is the final resting place for many of the area’s most important pioneers, including David Hill, an early legislator and for whom Hillsboro is named, and John Smith Griffin, a missionary who was integral to the Champoeg Meetings that created the Provisional Government of Oregon, as well as veterans from the Civil War and subsequent wars.The 8.42-acre cemetery also includes interpretive kiosk with information about the history of the cemetery.
Old Scotch Church and Tualatin Plains Cemetery (Est. 1870)
30685 NW Scotch Church Road, Hillsboro
This historical site is home to a pioneer cemetery where many Oregon Trail pioneers were laid to rest, including Joseph Meek, who was among the first to cross certain portions of The Oregon Trail, and was known as “the Davy Crockett of the Northwest.” Meek’s Historical Marker is just up the road from his grave. This is also the site of a Vineyard & Valley Tour Route historical marker/interpretive sign, which offers historical facts and insights.
Helvetia Community Church and Cemetery (Est. 1889)
11295 NW Helvetia Rd., Hillsboro
This historic church site and pioneer cemetery is just north of Highway 26 and also is along the scenic tour route, situated among farms.
Additional pioneer and historic cemeteries in the Tualatin Valley include:
- Hill Cemetery (near Gaston/Laurelwood): (Est. 1849) located approximately 1 mile NW of Laurelwood a.k.a. Almoran Hill on the south end of the Tour Route
- Middleton Pioneer Cemetery: (Est. 1871), located at 23971 SW Old Highway 99, Sherwood
- Pioneer Sunset Cemetery: Located in Tigard near 99W and Bull Mountain Rd.