Tourism and Sports Grants
The Washington County Visitors Association awards grants to eligible organizations whose projects will attract visitors to Tualatin Valley who will stay overnight in lodging facilities throughout Washington County. The following are the types of grants available.
Small Tourism Grant Program
Deadline for Applications:
January 31, 2020
The Washington County is now accepting applications for its Small Tourism Grant Program. Applicants may apply for grants up to $7,500 in funding. This is a pilot program for Fiscal Year 2019-2020 only.
The Small Tourism Grant Program supports entities with projects and programs that the WCVA Board of Directors believes have extraordinary merit and will positively impact and increase overnight visitation to Washington County, Oregon.
The grant supports initiatives that are aligned with the WCVA’s mission and strategic goals, and grant funds are intended to be invested in the development of assets that will directly lead to an increase in visitors to Washington County. The board seeks projects with the following characteristics (this list is not intended to be all-inclusive, nor is it a listing of all criteria that will be used in evaluating proposals):
- Projects that result in overnight stays in paid accommodations (e.g. hotels, motels, B&B, RV parks, camping);
- Projects that serve unmet visitor needs;
- Projects to create, expand, and/or improve business activity focused on visitors;
- Projects that have clear objectives and deliverables and are accompanied by a plan for evaluating the short-term and long-term impacts of the project, with a concentration on tourism-related economic impact (see definition of tourism);
- Projects that leverage support from other sources, including funds that may be available through state or federal programs;
- Projects that are collaborative in nature and/or linked with or supported by existing multi-community, regional, or statewide programs and efforts;
- Projects that provide evidence of support, endorsement, and demand by the communities or constituencies the project proposed to serve.
Capital Project Tourism Development Grant Program
2020 Cycle opens January 1, 2020
The Washington County Visitors Association’s Tourism Capital Project Grant Program is a closed-cycle program. Applicants must be a government entity or 501(c) non-profit organization. Eligible projects include development or redevelopment of a tourism-related product. Applicants are only allowed one grant award every two years.
If you have any questions regarding our capital grant program, please email or call Ariel Kanable at 503-644-5555.
Sports Fund Grant
The purpose of the Sports Fund is primarily to assist and secure new events/tournaments that attract participants and spectators who will stay in Washington County lodging facilities and generate hotel/motel room tax for the county. Priority consideration for funding will be for those first-year non-profit events/tournaments that successfully garner support from multiple community partners and sponsors and that demonstrate the ability and determination to sustain the event on an annual basis without the aid of future grants from the WCVA.